QuickText SMS Ireland current version 2.1
28th Mar 2012: Sorry for the delay with this update - v2.2 bugfix to actually let it work on other networks is live for the sidebar. Proper update coming soon!
30th Oct 2011: Version 2.0 for all platforms is online now. Get it while it's hot! This version uses the Cabbage server to send SMS so it's Meteor QuickText no longer! It's a little slower than v1.8 but It should now work with any Irish network and should be a lot more stable in future. This version has Group SMS and Gmail sync and more. Enjoy!
COMING SOON: got suggestions?
QuickText is a free SMS program for Irish mobile users to send free sms messages straight from a desktop or laptop computer. The system works by automatically logging into your web account at high speed and using one of your 300 free monthly webtexts that network providers (Meteor, 02, Three Mobile, Vodafone, eMobile and O2 UK) offer their customers. You dont have to deal with messy log in forms or slow webpages. It is all free and perfectly legal.
There are currently a few versions of the program available. Please see the downloads section for a description of each.
QuickText takes a few minutes to install and setup.
Please read the installation instructions carefully!
- Send up to 300 free texts per month (depending on your mobile network)
- Works in Ireland with Meteor, 02, Three Mobile, Vodafone, eMobile and O2 UK
- Save limitless contact names & phone numbers in the cloud
- Send group SMS & save groups for re-use
- Always on - No logging in or navigating through a messy website required (WAY better than the networks' websites!)
- Quickly and easily browse or filter search contacts
- Fully featured hotkeys - Texting is incredibly quick and easy!
- Choice of Skins - Fit the application into your desktop colour scheme! Now includes custom skins!
- Limitless updates. if a new version becomes available, the program will notify you!
- Tiny program - small filesize and optimised performance ensure QuickText does not slow down or clog up your machine in any way.
- History - Quicktext remembers your last 50 messages.
- Quicktext Shrinker - This little button converts your messages into txt spk so you fit more in!
Tell a Friend!
Why not tell a friend or two about QuickText?!
Download (latest version: 2.1 what's new?)
No spyware, adware, trojans, worms or viruses of any kind 100% guaranteed!
You can download the latest version of QuickText absolutely free using the links below:
Windows Gadget (best)
This snazzy version sits in your vista or windows 7 sidebar. Just tap the windows key + G whenever you want to send a text! This is the quickest and easiest version to install.
** Windows 64bit user?
You need to install this hotfix to get QuickText Gadget working. (it just fixes a bug in windows)
XP - Desktop Embed
This version can be nested in your windows desktop. It becomes part of your desktop background and does not need to be closed or minimised when not in use. It does not appear in your taskbar or system tray and uses almost zero system resources when not in use. Just tap the windows key + D whenever you want to send a text! Please read the installation instructions carefully! (below)
This version runs like a normal windows program. Run at startup and double click the Q icon in the system tray to hide/show the program. Please read the installation instructions carefully! (below)
Basic browser version
This version should run through a web browser on any Operating system, including mobiles that support flash 10. You may need to adjust your security settings to allow the swf internet access. Follow the exe installation instructions but change the allowed directory to wherever you have your swf saved
Tips & Tricks
- Change your skin by hovering over a coloured box on the settings page. Press save if you want QuickText to remember your favourite skin for the next time you run it.
- Tapping the HOME key at any time toggles between the main texting page and your contacts list.
- Tap the ESC key to clear the selected message or contact search. Double tap ESC to clear both.
About the login button...
- An orange login button with a white centre means that QuickText is connected to the server and ready to send your SMS.
- A gray login button means that QuickText does not have internet access. You may need to check the installation instructions or allow Quicktext through the Firewall on your computer or router.
- A black centre means that QuickText is online but not logged into the server. This happens when our server is down or sometimes after a long period of inactivity. You can click the button to login or QuickText will automatically try to login when you send your next sms.
Send a message without using the mouse...
- Type your message in the box
- Press the TAB key when you're finished
- Type the first few letters of the name of the person you want to send the message to
- Tap Enter/Return twice to send the message
Automatically shrink your message if it wont fit...
- Simply tap F11 a few times to remove un-necessary spaces and letters from your message and turn your message into txt spk.
Using the exe version...
- The exe version is a little slow to start up so the best way to use it is to simply leave it open all the time and double click on the icon in the system tray (beside the clock). This will simply show and hide QuickText whenever you need it
How to skin QuickText with your own design...
- Did you know you can make your own skin for QuickText by replacing the file customSkin.jpg in the QuickText folder with your own image? Try making one that fits exactly into your desktop to create the illusion that QuickText is part of your background: (works best with the desktop embed version!)
NOTE: For users of the sidebar gadget version, save your customSkin.jpg to: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets\QuickText.gadget
Sync your contacts across multiple computers (Cloud Contacts)...
Since QuickText v1.8, your contacts have been automatically saved on the QuickText server (known as the cloud). To sync these contacts to a new computer, simply install QuickText and enter your username/pin and press save.
About the reset button...
Clicking the reset button will wipe the contacts, message history and preferences stored on your PC. After you press it, you can press the save button to also wipe your cloud contacts from the QuickText server. Be warned: unless you have a backup, all contacts will be deleted permanently.
How to directly move/copy/backup your contacts list...
This is very handy if you want to move computers or copy your contacts list between your laptop/desktop, home/work,etc
Windows users can download the QuickText backup utility:
Download Backup utility
Mac/Linux users will need to follow these instructions: (advanced users only!)
- Your contacts list is saved as a file called "meteorContactsList.sol" deep in the directory structure of your computer.
- You can backup this file by simply running a computer search for it and copying it to a secure location of your choice.
- To restore a backed up contacts list (on a new computer or otherwise):
- First run QuickText and press the save button. This creates a new contacts list in correct directory.
- Run a computer search for the "meteorContactsList.sol" file it creates.
- Replace the file with your backed up copy.
QuickText makes it as easy as possible to send a text. In fact you don't need to use the mouse at all if you know the right hotkeys.
- TAB - Press this after typing your message to jump to the number input box
- HOME - Tapping the home key at any time toggles between the main texting page and your contacts list
- INSERT - Tapping the insert key when you have a number typed in the number input box is the same as clicking the little save disk that pops up in the box. This will save the inputted number as a contact.
- UP/DOWN arrow - Tap the up or down arrow when focused on the number input box to search your contacts
- 0-9 - Use the number keys on the contact list page to select a contact from the current list. (Example: typing C0 into the search box will insert your first contact beginning with C)
- ENTER or RETURN - Hit return when focused on the number input box to send your message. When entering a new contacts name, hitting return will save it.
- ESC - Pressing the escape key will clear a current message, phone no. or search or navigate to the main page.
- WINDOWS key+D - Pressing windows+D at the same time will minimise all windows and show your desktop (handy if you have QuickText embedded in the desktop background)
- WINDOWS key+G - Pressing windows+G at the same time will bring your Windows Sidebar to the front - ready for QuickTexting.
- F11 - NEW - Shrink your message to sms spk. Just tap it a few times to reduce it more and more.
Version 2.1 Released 30th Oct 2011 - NEW FEATURES!
- ANY NETWORK- QuickText now works with Meteor, 02, Three Mobile, Vodafone, eMobile and O2 UK. Thanks to Cabbage for a loan of it's servers! You should really donate something to them for their hard work.
- GROUP SMS - You can now send group SMS and save groups for re-use later.
- MULTIPART MESSAGES - Multipart messages are now sent as a single long message.
- ALTERNATE SERVER - You can now send messages through the Cabbage server or through the QuickText server. This is helpful if one is temporarily offline.
- DESIGN TWEAKS & SKINS - New skins are available and the GUI has been tweaked throughout.
- Bug fixes throughout
Version 1.85 Released 21st May 2010 - NEW FEATURES!
- MULTIPART MESSAGES- The much requested and long awaited multipart message update is here! Long messages are split by QuickText and sent in parts.
- CLOUD CONTACTS - Your contacts are automatically synced to the QuickText server. When you log in to QuickText on another computer, they are seamlessly downloaded.Gmail sync is also available but is in extremely experimental stages so please backup your contacts before trying it.
- Fixed remaining messages counter
- Contacts and history list scroll functionality has been tweaked to make it more usable.
Version 1.6 Released 26th November 2009
- LOG IN FIX - Changes to mymeteor.ie have been causing intermittent login problems. At the time of this release, if you can log manually on the website, you can log in via Quicktext (provided quicktext is not firewalled by your computer/router)
- 4 nice new skins have been added.
- Shrinker has been updated to squish more words and break less of them.
- Usability & bug fixes: New save button and popup messages make QuickText easier and nicer & faster to use.
- MAC version was replaced with basic browser version for linux/mac users. (mac version never worked)
Version 1.5 Released 21st February 2009 - NEW FEATURES!
- INSTANT LOG IN - As soon as the program is opened, Quicktext prepares to send your message by logging in to the Meteor server while you type your sms. This means the messages send much faster when you press send.
- SHRINKER - Quicktext can now shrink your messages by tapping F11. Just tap it a few times to compress the message more and more. Alternatively there's a button on the main screen for it.
- HISTORY - The last 50 message you sent are now saved in the history menu. You can also use the buttons on the main screen to style back and forth between your recent messages.
- MEMORY - Quicktext now remembers as you type so you can pick up where you left off after an accidental close. This is particularly useful for users of the Vista sidebar version which often pops in unexpectedly.
Version 1.4 Released 29th August 2008
- Small change to program to recognise log in on yet another new meteor site layout.
- QuickText backup contacts utility is released.
Version 1.3 Released 27th July 2008
- Finally updated quicktext to run on the totally revamped meteor website.
- QuickText Vista Gadget was released!
- QuickText SWF only version was discontinued.
Version 1.2 Released 7th December 2007
- Updated quicktext to run on the new meteor website (meteor had the nerve to update it without consulting me which broke QuickText!)
- Added 'messages remaining this month' counter
Version 1.1 Released 29th August 2007
Please note: This version uses a more stable method of saving contacts which is not compatible with version 1.0. Please see the tips and tricks above for information on how to copy your contacts from version 1.0 to version 1.1. You will never need to do this again when updating.
- Automatic lookup of contact numbers as you type
- "ACCESS DENIED" message removed - QuickText now simply logs back in when your login expires
- Permanent Confirmation message and message counter when message is sent
- Last message sent time and contact name display
- Custom Skin support (save your own jpg into the QuickText directory)
- Escape key now clears the current field before clearing the entire message
- Character remaining counter now flashes when space is running out (starts at 15 characters remaining)
Powered by Cabbage ... Copyright ©2007-2011 crondesign